Sunday, July 10, 2011

More Medication

You know, I remember when I was young(er) and was trying to help my mother care for my father. She was in the process of filling Dad's pill boxes and I asked her how many pills he took daily. I don't remember, exactly, it must have been 7 or  8 and I thot, "Wow," I hope I never have to take that many.

Well, I don't take that many, but my Dr. gave me another daily pill last Friday. Now, I take 6. She gave me a medication to help prevent the cluster headaches. Ick.

I guess I shouldn't complain, a couple of those pills are actually keeping me alive - the others I might be able to do with out, but I'd be sick all the time.

The sad thing is that I was watching tv this afternoon and watched a commercial that said heart attacks are the #1 killer and strokes are #3, then encouraged the viewers to watch a documentary on pay-per-view to find out how to avoid them. Seriously?

I've been living on borrowed time since I was 27 years old - not that I'm complaining, but no one is going to avoid everything and if we could, we'd all live forever. We are all living longer, thus the new lack of social security for all the baby boomers, etc.

Okay, I'm babbling, gotta go take a shower and take that "other" pill.

3 comments:

Just Be Real said...

You are not babbling. I like your ending.... true we are living longer and SS will be in short supply if not at all for the generation that is coming up now.

Sorry the pills are making you sick.

Safe hugs.

Lothlorien said...

You are so right. If we did everything we're supposed to in order to stay healthy and "prolong our life" we'd drive ourselves crazy. Also, if we ate everything we're supposed to eat for heart health, eye health, colon health, and the health of other various parts, we'd be stuffed to the gills!!! Interestingly enough, my mother used to take all her required vitamins and fish oil, too. However, she died of lung cancer that was NOT caused by smoking. Every time I see a bottle of fish oil I think to myself, "Didn't help mom any."
Lothlorien

castorgirl said...

Hi Ivory,

I can understand what you mean about the medication, but remember what you say about them making your life better. As long as they help you, they're worth it.

I often wonder what people are going to do with their retirement. I never expected to reach the age I have, so people wanting to live longer, and avoiding doing things to achieve that, is an odd concept for me. If you're going to avoid things, and worry about it all, doesn't that cause stress, and it's that one of the risk factors they talk about???

Take care,
CG