Sunday, May 23, 2010

Where have all the Flowers Gone

This week end has been one of the quietest I've had in months. I put some sealer on my deck and did laundry. Nothing new. Nothing out of the ordinary. Gosh, I've forgotten how solitude can heal the heart. But heavy my heart is, non the less. I have a little who has been playing games with me and who will be the topic at tomorrow's therapy session.

You know, I can't seem to watch TV a day without part of the storyline including a child being hurt, molested, or running from it. Where is the innocent protection of our children? Why is there now more picturesque stuff out there about the abuse of children. How can they expect to keep their innocence when they see that on TV? What do they think of when they watch that?

Here's a question for you -- Are TV/movies making us want what we see, or are they giving us what we want?

There was a little girl, I think she may have been 4 or 5 years old. She lived in Denver with her family and went missing. Her name was Paula Sue S. I was about 8 or 9 when I first saw the news about her dissapearance. It was in black and white. I was stunned. I watched day after day, waiting for the news to come on. I didn't even watch cartoons after school because I wanted the news. I became obsessed about her.

I will never forget the day the newsman announced that she had been murdered by a 12 year old neighbor boy who tried to molest her. After he killed her, he buried her beneath the boards of the sidwalk on her street. she was there for nearly the whole winter, before she was discovered. I was devastated. Totally and completely let down and then I worried that's what would happen to me.

I had been molested by a neighbor boy and I spend at least a year (till he moved away) fearing that he would now kill me and bury me somewhere on our farm or under the boards of the little town where he lived. It was horrible. Television needs to clean up.

2 comments:

Michael Finley said...

I have the same question. Why are so many clips posted on YouTube and such about accidents, a "fail", someone being "owned or some one being embarrassed.

Having read the bible and Shakespeare I don't think it is new.

How is war glorified and 70% of homeless people are veterans of combat?

How do people listen to NPR where they totally slam PB Oil and not acknowledge that BP gives millions to NPR.

I am the same way. The other day I was in a heated pool discussing global warming.

Ivory said...

Michael,
yes, we all seem unable to see the forest for the trees. I wish the movie people would be more sensitive.