Thursday, April 8, 2010

Just Another Day

Since I was going to be alone for Easter, I had to psych myself up for it so I wouldn't get so depressed. I could have had a pity party (I've done that before), or I could do something constructive. So, here's what I did with my 3-day isolation holiday.

The agency where I work gave us Good Friday off, so on Thursday evening, I decided to watch a movie. I picked Alien, with Sigourney Weaver. On Friday, I went to town and bought new doorknobs for my upstairs, 8 total. The ones I'm replacing are the original ones AND I haven't yet changed the locks since buying the house. I bought the kind that I can key all the locks the same - by myself. That is a perk since I would have to take time off from work to come home for the locksmith to change the locks. So, okay, I'm on my way to fun and being busy with a perk.

By the time I got home from town - "town" is 60 miles away - I was exhausted, so I hauled in 2 new ceiling fans and 3 bags of door knobs from the car, fixed some dinner and went down to the family room for some entertainment. I chose Aliens (2nd in the series). When that was over, I was into it, so I put in Alien 3. After that, I went to bed.

Saturday I began with replacing the front deadbolt. Darn. The jams weren't lined up very well and the project became a ball and chain, so after about 2 hours of frustration, I got on the internet for a few minutes and then went to watch Alien Resurrection. During that movie, I got some lunch and finished the movie. Then I went to town (locally) for a bit of shopping and then back to finishing the front deadbolt. It ended up that I had to use quite a bit of wood filler because of all the holes that were drilled previously AND I was about to add more holes. That project wouldn't finish till the wood filler dried and that would be 24 hours. So, I decided to watch another movie and another of my favorites: Predator.

Sunday threatened to overwhelm me because I knew my whole family would be having a celebration together just a couple of miles away. I was not invited.

I got up late, ate some breakfast and read some blogs. Then I finished the front deadbolt and readjusted the doorknob to align better. I needed some comfort fun, so I went downstairs to sooth the loneliness by finishing Predator. After that, I worked on the doorknob and deadbolt for the entry from the garage. For the deadbolt, I bought a keyless entry. How exciting! When I took the old doorknob and deadbolt out, tho, I saw that the doorknob area was heavily patched. The bracket wasn't even secured with screws. So, that began with a lot of wood filler and then I worked on the deadbolt.

That project soon ended because I hit an impasse. The keyless deadbolt was for an outside door that was ¼ inch wider than mine was. I would have to wait until Monday when I could get shorter bolts. I stuffed fuzzy mittens into both holes so the cold air wouldn't come in and went to watch Predator 2.

When I was finished with Predator 2, I studied the instructions for the keyless entry and was sure I would be able to install it and then studied the directions for changing all the locks to the same key. I have to admit, it is easy to do. I was so proud of me.

During the whole day Sunday, I was also doing laundry, so sometime in the afternoon I went down to finish the laundry. Can't just sit there waiting on the dryer to stop spinning so… guess what movie I put in to watch???... ??? …

Alien vs Predator !

So all in all, I had a good weekend. But last night, I went to Walmart and you will never guess what movie I bought!

Guess!



Alien vs Predator Requiem!

I didn't even know it existed! I just finished watching it. I'm in heaven. And guess what else!? There is a Predator 3 coming out in 2010! Gotta love it.

.

11 comments:

Michael Finley said...

Good work on the doors. They are hard. I have done a lot new ones are hard, old one's more so.

Sorry about your family.

Between The Minds ~ The Beehive said...

I'm glad you filled your three day weekend! It sounds like you got a lot done and had fun as well.

-Bee

castorgirl said...

Good on you for doing such positive things for yourself! It must have been hard when you knew your family were having a gathering nearby.

I also love the Alien series - although I still can't watch the first one without hiding at least once :)

Take care,
CG

Ivory said...

Michael,
I didn't know old ones were harder! I haven't done this for years. I'm actually going to have someone replace the door that is really bad, I just needed to get the locks changed for now.

Ivory said...

Bee,
I did have fun, I am so glad that I didn't let the day get me down again.

Ivory said...

Castorgirl,
Thanks for the support! The first movie is my favorite. The last one was filmed in the dark, nearly all the way thru AND it was cheezy, but it was the perfect ending.

Kerro said...

Oh wow! I'm so impressed at your handy-woman efforts. Also that you did such positive things for yourself at a time that could have been so awful. That's wonderful! :)

LostShadowChild said...

I'm glad you searched for positive things. Had to smile a little, as I read your movie list :)
My favourites are the second movie: Aliens and the last: Alien Resurrection with Winona Ryder.
Take care
LSC

Exhale said...

I am glad you filled your weekend with fun and productive stuff, good on you for changing the door handles! I like your taste in movies, I have watched them all too...i think sometimes we need to escape from reality and what better way to do it than with a kick butt movie where good wins over evil....

Paul from Mind Parts said...

Good for you! I so wish I didn't end up in the hospital this year for this holiday. But I did. Maybe next year I'll do some of what you did... Congratulations to you!

Ivory said...

Kerro,
Handy-woman! I've never thot of my "skills" that way, but I have been called a "Jacqueline of all trades". I grew up on a farm and was left to my own and I am pretty handy with a saw...


LSC,
I don't know what I'll do when I run out of things to do around here, but for now, I am busy enough to ward off some of the lonliness.


Exhale,
...and I finished the doorknobs on the back door yesterday! I'm also impressed that so many like the Alien series!


Paul,
I am sorry you needed to go there. As you know, being hospitalized is one of my biggest fears. Maybe that's what spurred me on to finding some busy stuff to do over the holiday. I hope you are doing much better - I was thinking of you.

Thanks everyone for all your support. You are all so kind and your encouragement is very uplifting.