Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When Do I Get To Be Creative?

I just had a thought. Over at Self-ish, Michael posts that he lost time drawing and oil painting.

Often, when I am at my best, doing my best and being very productive in a creative way, I lose time and can't remember it. It is very frustrating that a part of me can create what I only dream of doing. For instance, Blue (age 17) is great at writing scary poems. I've lost a notebook full of poems of hers and I can't get her to write more. I've tried doing it myself but ...eeewww... I can't quite get it done.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if losing time when being creative, or highly functional and intelligent is normal of multiplicity.

9 comments:

Exhale said...

Yea I think it's normal, we experience the same thing...

castorgirl said...

I also lose time to which ever part is being creative.

Ivory said...

Exhale and Castorgirl - This is the first time I've talked with anyone who experiences this. It's the pits, isn't it, not remembering those times very well?!

Paul from Mind Parts said...

All people who are being creative are sort of losing time in the same sense that we are except for different reasons.

Exhale said...

I think it's really painful most times to accept when it happens because you feel so powerless...when someone is being creative or communicating in a healthy manner it's good and it’s wonderful to share in the credit, but when they are doing the opposite and you get called out and you don't know anything, that's when it's the pits...

LostShadowChild said...

I also lose time very, very often. I can't remember what happens then. Even when someone creates some collages on polyvore I lose time. It's awful for me, because sometimes I lose hours :(

Ivory said...

Paul - I think you are right. I've never thot of it that way, but it makes sense.


Exhale - Yes, powerless. I feel so darn powerless about so many things. I keep trying but cannot change that.


LostShadowChild - Me, too. I hate it when I wake up in bed and it's the next day. Absolutely hate it.

The Beehive said...

I lose time as well when I am trying to be creative... I have a split (alter) who plays the piano - she's incredible - writes her own music and everything, but I don't get to experience that. I have another split who draws beautiful pictures, and I can't draw a thing. Another split writes poetry, another writes short stories and novels, another can sing, and another knows German and can speak it fluently - I don't know any German! It can get pretty frustrating...

Ivory said...

Beehive - Welcome to my blog! You are very talented! There are things I do well, too, that "I" really can't do. It's frustrating!