Saturday, November 28, 2009

I Want to Go Home

Well, I've opened every box and only put away 2 of them. On Monday, I waited for the cable guy all morning. When he finally got here, he was taking his shoes off inside the door and before he finished, I knew his whole life story. God, give me a break.

After the initial exodus, I went back for my hanging clothes and all the odds and ends. It took 3 car loads, and somewhere in between that, I cleaned the apartment and shampooed the carpets (part of the agreement).

I'm not planning on staying here but for a few years, but I didn't realize moving would be so hard on my body. I'm planning on moving only one more time, but I'm not sure my body can do it. Ten years ago, everything would have been put away by now and I would be doing my Christmas shopping. Instead, my whole body aches and the ends of my fingers have blisters on them so big that I cannot do much of anything that involves my fingers. That doesn't leave much, even typing hurts. (I had a reprieve by going to my daughter's house for Thanksgiving. She didn't ask that I cook anything and I didn't have to do the dishes.)

Something else I didn't realize is now that I have to do everything by myself, it takes much longer to get it all done - not that it just takes twice the time, but some of it I'm not "equipped" to do, like having the strength/height to move the washer or put in a garbage disposal. When there are 2 people moving, there are 2 people to share all the little time consuming things, like sit around and wait for the cable guy, or go have the utilities changed, or send out change of address cards. I've not had to organize the garage, drill the holes for the kitchen cabinet doors, or set up the surround sound before this. There is tons of laundry to do and curtains to hang still.

All of it takes so much time and I am so tired and sore - and discouraged. I broke 2 drill bits last night on the cabinet doors (oak), (cheap drill and bits), I haven't had time to order a new outside door, and there is a big a$$ wasp in the kitchen somewhere (he got away while I looked for the swatter). I don't know where to turn next, which "thing" to pick up next. I don't know what I was thinking, buying a house with all it's work.

I know I'm in trouble when I begin to revert to the things that are familiar to me. Things like being in my car going somewhere and sitting in my bed with my computer on my lap. I want to get the kitchen put together today, but it's too big a job. I'll have to pick just one thing in the kitchen and begin with that.

If I were a child, I'd be crying to go home. If only I had some ruby slippers... If only I knew where home is.

.

8 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Oh dear one I know what it is like to click those ruby slippers. Glad you are more or less settling in now. Glad that you had an easy Thanksgiving and that your daughter did most of everything.

Take it easy and rest your body and your finger-tips.

Blessings and gentle hugs...

Grace said...

(((IVORY))) Take it easy and rest your body...you don't have to do it all at once.
I'm happy to hear you had a relaxing thanksgiving with your daughter

Kerro said...

I'm also really glad you had an easy Thanksgiving - moving is incredibly exhausting - mentally and physically. Please don't underestimate that. And please don't underestimate the great job you've done!

It's really hard - especially on your own. You're exactly right - there's only one person to do everything. And sometimes that one person can't do it (like lift stuff, or, for me, do the handy man stuff).

I moved a couple of months ago, and one thing I found helpful was to go room by room. For me, I started in my bedroom, so that even when the rest of the house was a complete tip, I had one place to retreat to that was all beautiful (sort of, at least it wasn't a tip!!)

Take care and please enjoy your new home! :)

Ivory said...

JBR,
Thank you so much. I tried so hard not to let it get me down, but there are littles wanting to go home. It makes me miserable - between happy for the nice house and panicked for being in a strange place. I couldn't help it, I cried this morning for the first time.

Ivory said...

Kerro,
I will try one room at a time because so far, I haven't done ANY room. I'm so overwhelmed. I have to start with the kitchen because there are many little boxes cluttering the dining room and hall into the kitchen. Thanks for the idea!

Ivory said...

Grace,
Thanks for caring. You reminded me of something that I always forget: I don't have to do it all at once. I actually have a friend who I've been afraid will come by and ask why I'm not all finished. It was bothering me a great deal. I guess if she doesn't like it, that is her problem.

castorgirl said...

Moving is one of the most draining things you can do - psychologically and physically. Please be gentle on yourself Ivory, do it in small pieces and as you can. Settling into a new place takes time, so give yourself that time and breathing room.

Take care,
CG

Ivory said...

Castorgirl,
I didn't know it would be so hard. It doesn't take much to completely overwhelm me and I shut down. That makes for getting nothing done real fast. I am trying to do just one room - the kitchen. Even that is taking longer than a few hours. I've been working on it for 2 days and I'm still not finished (today I will be). Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it a great deal.