Friday, May 8, 2009

Right as Rain

.
Do you ever get confused by knowing how you feel inside and knowing what mental health professionals think of you? I do.


By the time I'd gotten to be about 14, I knew what mental health was. Back then, people who suffered from emotional or mental issues were called by a myriad of other descriptives, such as nutso, crazy, nutbag, weirdo, lunatic, by the bulk of society. Even today, psychological manuals, such as the DSM IV list Dissociative Identity Disorder under the heading of "Abnormal". What the heck is so abnormal about it? Aaannnd, they are thinking of removing DID as a VALID disorder to a milder one that is high up on a PTSD scale? Okay, that's where it is now, why change the severity of it. What's not severe about how I became to be DID?


I pose this question because I usually think outside the box (I'm hoping some of you do also). Okay, 1) Anybody know what a "normal" reaction to being the object of satanic ritual is, or maybe to being the victim of incest, or getting dropped-kicked across a room by Goliath? What would the world consider a normal response from the victim? Anyway, 2) Is pedophile listed under "Abnormal Psych"? I don't know, but either way, does society believe a pedophile is more normal than a person who has become DID (for whatever reason). OoKaay.

Moving on, 3) Has anybody noticed that society, meaning governmental controls and mental health professionals are working hard on getting the DIDs back to "normal" (what ever that is - probably integrated) and not spending too much time on the pedophiles? Seems to me that if they'd fix the pedophiles, they wouldn't have so many people who are DID. But isn't that just like them, always fixing the symptom and not the sickness? ---Okay, I know that pedophiles probably cannot be "fixed", but why not at least put them on an island and dress half of them up like children. This wasn't meant to be funny, tho I know it sounds that way -- I'm serious.

Pondering,
Ivory
.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Ivory,

I wish that they would lock them all up, the ones that they find out about, that would have a lot of abuse, pain, and heartache.

But through the last few decades what we have found from the mental health professionals is a new ares of work for them, one that brings no results but makes them lots and lots of money, while treating monsters who rape children only to let them roam free to abuse further. Mental health professionals have not done survivors any favors in this mindset.

I don't like any of the approaches or labels from the mental health profession. They really don't get what DID really is or much about what it is like or about. And they prove it over and over. There is so much abuse in this area. I am proud to say that lots of multiples are standing up for themselves and doing what is right for them, their system, and their healing rather than being brainwashed. But the stigma continues, no matter what they call us. You are right to be upset. You are right to be angry.

Good and healing thoughts to you.

Kate

Ivory said...

Kate,
My T says we need to stand up for ourselves, too. He tells me often that I am the expert and he is always learning from me what being DID is REALLY like. I wish everyone's T would think like that...I wish everyone would think like that or at least have an open mind. Thanks for understanding my anger is not just because I'm a butt.

Ivory

Kate said...

Hi Ivory,

Well anger isn't just normal for a survivor, it is appropriate and healing. You have a right to have your anger, feel your anger, and address it.

I myself find anger very empowering and healing. It is saying what is wrong, what is right, and what I want in my life, for others, and in the world. That may be very opinionated, but I find that it is healing.

Kate

Ivory said...

I wish my anger would be healing. Well, it might be but I've not learned how to control the beast and I always begin the expression of it okay, but it usually ends with me melting to tears. That's why my T has warned against me trying to confront any of my family members. He wants me to wait till I can control the tears because he believes that would give them the wrong idea of thinking they have "won" the battle.

Anyway, I'm workin' on it and someday, I'll be good at it.