Thursday, April 9, 2009

Criminal Minds Episode 20 (April 8, 2009)

I just finished watching last night's "Criminal Minds". You guessed it. The bad guy has DID. Of course he does. I cannot say enough bad things about all the media on how bad we can be, so I've decided not to go into it - you already know it.

Instead, I found a few decent things. Don't get me wrong, those things don't out weigh the fact that DIDs are portrayed wrong. I could identify with a few things, like when Adam gets the headaches and the intense confusion he feels at times. I sometimes get that way when I sort of remember something and can't really remember it, and I keep trying to remember it, or especially when I think I can actually prevent an alter from sending me away and taking over. Never works, but I always try, anyway.

What struck me right away was the bit of compassion the FBI team seemed to bestow upon Adam. Finally.

There was a line in the show that was very good. It was at the end of the show when Reed says, "We've taken the victim into custody and set the abuser free. I don't see that as much of a win..."

Reed then quoted Steven King as writing something like, "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us and sometimes, they win." For the kind of books he writes, yes. I have read a few, and with great pleasure. With DIDs, tho, the monsters were outside of us, and now it is the broken, scared, and pained who are living inside us.

Here is another quote by Steven King (on Brainyquotes.com): God is cruel. Sometimes he makes you live. And that is fodder for my next post...

Get it right, guys.

No monster(s) here,

Ivory

2 comments:

Austin said...

I wrote about this episode too. I thought there were several things in it that were pretty good. I don't like when shows go that angle but this one had a few points that were right on.

I linked to the entry in the URL space so if you click my name it'll go there.

Austin

Ivory said...

Austin,

Oh, my. I followed your link and then the next link to listen to the Minute Waltz. How funny! You have forever changed the way I watch Criminal Minds...

I wish in my heart of hearts that DID wasn't so stigmatized, and at such a cost. Like my T says, "They victimize the victim over and over."